To enable VMware ESXi 4.0 SSH (Windows Putty) access:
- At physical console press ALT+F1. VMware ESXi banner will appear.
- There is no prompt on the screen, but type ‘unsupported’ and press Enter.
- Now at password prompt type root password.
- You are logged in Linux console. Type:
- Locate line with commented SSH – ‘#ssh tcp …’, and uncomment it – delete ‘#’. (Press Insert to go into edit mode, delete ‘#’, press Esc to go back, type ‘:wq’ to save and quit.
- Now you can restart server, or restart services using:
Tested on VMware ESXi 4.0.